This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeItAMovieNight #CollectiveBias
This week, my husband’s family came to our new house for an early Christmas and we had such a great time! We did a lot of movie watching and snacking and I wanted to share a few ideas for having a simple family movie party with a great popcorn recipe, simple decorations, fun kid activities, and a wonderful movie from Sony! I am also sharing a special offer from Vudu for a $10 movie code at the end of this post so please check that out!
I wanted to keep my little party’s decorations really simple but fun for the adults and kids. I decided to do a runner for the table and a wall decoration. I LOVE snowflakes and how they can last long after Christmas is over so I picked them for my theme. I picked out some paper in my favorite colors, bought a roll of brown wrapping paper, and got crafty!
For the runner, I painted snowflakes with white paint and then sprinkled confetti that I made with some paper and my 1.5 inch circle punch.
The brown wrapping paper kept rolling up, so I made tiny yarn tassels and hung them in each corner to weigh the runner down.
I added a few ramekins filled with crayons and thought coloring on the runner would be a fun activity for the little boys to do while we ate supper or watched the movie.
For the wall decoration, I just used my Cricut to cut some snowflakes out of cardstock and then stitched them together with my sewing machine. I also used my 1 inch circle punch to cut out pieces of brown wrapping paper and made some little circle garlands to hang next to the snowflakes.
I wanted the boys to have a game to play with while the grown ups watched the movie, so I made this simple Snowball Fight game with white cups, large white pom pom balls, and washi tape. I just cut the washi tape to make the faces and I think it turned out really fun!
Prayer Journal Favor:
The movie “War Room” from Sony has a central message about the importance of prayer so when I decided on a favor, a prayer journal was the perfect idea. I just bought cheap composition notebooks and then decoupaged fun paper on the outside. I added a little washi tape to cover the binding and was all done! I made one for the girls and even for my nephew who is starting to write more and more.
Snowflake Popcorn Recipe:
This recipe is one of my favorite treats and it uses just three simple ingredients: Orville Redenbacher popcorn, M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, and marshmallow cream. I made some for my husband’s family when they came to visit and it was a big hit! 🙂
First, head to WALMART and buy all of your ingredients!
Pop the Orville Redenbacher popcorn in the microwave and then spread it onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Melt the marshmallow cream (7 oz. jar) in a microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute (stirring once after 30 seconds) and then drop the marshmallow cream all over the popcorn and spread over the popcorn as evenly as possible. Bake for 5 minutes at 325 degrees in the oven. Pull the popcorn mixture out, stir the popcorn and marshmallow cream, sprinkle M&M’S® Chocolate Candies all over the popcorn, and then bake another 5 minutes.
Stir again and allow to cool on the cookie sheet on a rack. Store in an air tight container or serve immediately. This recipe makes about 8 cups.
- 1 Package of Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn
- M&M’S® Chocolate Candies
- 1 7 oz. Jar of Marshmallow Cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Microwave the Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn as directed on the bag.
- Spread the popcorn out on the cookie sheet in one layer.
- Put marshmallow creme into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute, stopping and stirring at 30 seconds.
- Take the marshmallow creme and drop it out onto the popcorn in different places.
- Mix together and try to coat as much of the popcorn as you can.
- Bake about ten minutes, stirring and adding the M&M’S® Chocolate Candies after five minutes.
- Take the popcorn out after ten minutes and cool on the cookie sheet on a rack to avoid sticking.
- Break up the large pieces and serve or store in an air tight container.
“War Room” Movie Night Party:
For our Family Movie Party, I just stuck to the basics: a great movie, a great popcorn recipe, and Coca-Cola! I chilled bottles of Coca-Cola with fun straws and served the Snowflake Popcorn in small bowls. We watched the new release of Sony’s movie “War Room” and just snacked all afternoon. This movie had such a special message of faith and the power of prayer and we loved it!
“War Room” is the perfect movie for families and has the perfect mixture of humor and meaningful advice for couples and families. It’s all about letting God fight your battles through prayer instead of worrying and trying to fix everything on your own. This movie inspired me to get a large chalkboard and write my prayer list and verses that I want to memorize on it. There is so much to take away from the movie and I’m so glad I got to share it with my family.
This is what the movie looks like in stores so you can grab your own!
Ok now for the Vudu $10 Movie Offer:
- Buy all 4 participating products mentioned (Orville Redenbacher, M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, Coca-Cola, Sony) in one transaction at Walmart between 12/22/15 and 2/2/16.
- Snap a picture of your receipt and visit uploadreceipt.com/movienight to submit your receipt by 2/9/16. (Tip: take a picture of this web address now so you remember it later)
- Get your $10 Vudu movie code by email! *While supplies last. Limit 1 per person.
I had so much fun planning this party for our family and we had such a nice time watching a movie that is so special to me. What special snacks and movies does your family LOVE during the holidays?