I have been wanting a full length floor mirror forever. I would shop online and they were always hundreds of dollars and so THAT wasn’t happening. I decided to make my own a few months ago but didn’t have any inspiration. I was looking through Pinterest and there it was! Inspired 🙂
This headboard from, of course, Urban Outfitters, was going to be my muse for this project. I really liked the arrow design and the rustic look of the wood.
I was finally ready to go to the hardware store. I went to Homeworks, which is a great local hardware store that has a little bit of everything 🙂 I bought 4 pieces of wood that were 2x8x8. They cut them down for me to be 6 1/2 feet long which was the height I wanted for the mirror frame. I also bought a smaller, thinner piece of wood for mounting them all together on the back.
I got them home and my husband screwed them together with the thinner piece of wood on the back.
Next I decided what colors I wanted to use. I just grabbed a bunch of acrylic paints from my craft room and started painting to decide which colors looked great together. Once I decided, I started taping off my arrow pattern.
Instead of measuring with a ruler, I used the tape to measure where to put the next pieces of tape. You can see here that I would put smaller pieces of tape on the wood to measure and then pull them off once I placed the next piece of tape. I always tape projects this way because it’s really easy and I am SUPER lazy when it comes to measuring. 🙂
Once you are done taping off your pattern, go over all of the tape with your hands or a cloth to make sure they are stuck all the way down. This time I used Frog Tape but I had a bit of trouble so I might go back to my trusty Scotch Blue Painter’s Tape…we’ll see.
Now it’s time to start painting. I just picked colors as I was going and even mixed some custom colors too. I did two coats and then pulled the tape off and did a few little accent stripes at the end.
I added a little bit of the metallic color over all of the stripes to tone down the color a bit.
I was thinking about leaving the wood the natural finish but I stepped back and didn’t LOVE it. I got out some Minwax stain from refinishing our patio furniture and an old T-shirt and rubbed it all over the front and back. I wiped off the excess, especially on the painted stripes, and the let it dry for 24 hours before bringing it in.
This is one of my favorite DIY projects I’ve done so far. Some of the colors were outside of my comfort zone (blue) but I really LOVE it!