Attitude is HUGE. A bad one can ruin your day. A good one can make a disaster turn into a funny story. A bad attitude can completely ruin your health and a good attitude can help you get through a very traumatic time. It’s powerful and you get to choose the attitude you’re going to have every single day.
So why do we choose a bad attitude? Sometimes we just can’t find any silver lining and we just default to misery. Maybe we don’t know how to have a good attitude when everything is going wrong. I know some people who can’t have a good attitude even when everything is going right.
I recently taught a lady’s retreat and I studied the bible for weeks trying to figure out how our attitude should reflect Christ. When I started to look up the word “attitude” in the bible, it’s actually not in there very much but the bible has A LOT to say about how our good attitude can share Christ with others.
I wanted to share 13 verses about attitude that I used in my lessons that I think you would love to have for when you are struggling to have a good attitude.
The first set of verses are about your “internal” attitude. These verses are about the attitude of your heart and your thoughts. These are about what you are thinking and feeling even if other people can’t see it on the outside.
- Colossians 3:1-2: Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
- Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
- Hebrews 4:12: For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
- 1 Peter 4:1: Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.
- Philippians 2:3-11: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude as Christ Jesus. Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
The second group of verses are about your “external” attitude. These are the verses that talk about how your attitude, whether good or bad, is being perceived and viewed by the world.
- 1 Corinthians 16:14: Do everything in love.
- Colossians 3:23: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
- Philippians 2:14-15: Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.
- Matthew 5:16: In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
- Philippians 1:27: Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.
- Colossians 3:17: And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- Colossians 3:13: Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
- James 1:19-20: My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.
Do you naturally have a good attitude no matter what or are you like me and need some extra help finding that silver lining? 😊